You are here
Phone: +86-10-8518 8858 ext. 3319
Dean's Distinguished Chair Professor of Marketing, Associate Dean of American market
Director of the CIM Center
PhD, University of Southern California
Research Areas: Rational and strategic consumer choices and dynamic structural models, Dynamic and interactive marketing mix and customer information management, Modeling dynamic and inter-dependent consumer decisions on e-commerce and social media platforms.
Professor Sun Baohong is the Dean's Distinguished Chair Professor of Marketing and the Associate Dean of Global Programs. She also directs CKGSB's Customer Information Management Center. Prior to joining CKGSB in 2011, Professor Sun was Carnegie Bosch Professor of Marketing at the Tepper School of Business of Carnegie Mellon University. Professor Sun received her PhD from the University of Southern California in 1997 and BA from Renmin University of China.
Her research focuses on rational and strategic consumer choices and dynamic structural models; dynamic and interactive marketing mix and customer information management; and, most recently, on modeling dynamic and inter-dependent consumer decisions on e-commerce and social media platforms.
Professor Sun is the recipient of numerous awards for research and teaching, including the 2008 Finalist for John D.C. Little Best Paper Award at INFORMS, the 2006 MBA George Leland Bach Teaching Award, and the 2005 CART Research Frontier Award for Innovative Research at Carnegie Mellon University.
She also serves on the editorial boards of Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Science, and Journal of Marketing. Her extensive consulting experience includes work with major corporations including Bosch, Boy Scouts of America, Highmark Insurance, John Deer and IBM. An active contributor to media discussions on current business issues, Professor Sun's research has been cited in The Economist, The New York Times,The Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine and Bloomberg, among others.
- Finalist, John D.C. Little Best Paper Award, INFORMS, 2016
- Outstanding Faculty Research Award, CKGSB, 2012
- Finalist, John D.C. Little Best Paper Award, INFORMS, 2008
- Faculty fellow for 2008 Doctoral Consortium, AMA, 2008
- Faculty fellow for 2007 Doctoral Consortium, AMA, 2007
- MBA George Leland Bach Teaching Award, CMU, 2006
- Faculty fellow for 2007 Doctoral Consortium, AMA, 2006
- Faculty fellow for 2006 Doctoral Consortium, AMA, 2006
- CART Research Frontier Award for Innovative Research, CMU, 2005
- Xerox Research Chair, CMU, 2004-05
- Selected to Marketing Young Scholars Program, MSI, 2004
- MBA All Star Teaching Award, UNC, 2003
- MBA Master Teacher, UNC, 2003
- Academic Achievement Award, USC, 1995
- Academic Achievement Award, USC, 1993
Customer-Centric Marketing: A Pragmatic Framework with Ravi R. The MIT Press. March 2016.
- “Is Core-Periphery Network Good for Knowledge Sharing? -- A Structural Model of Endogenous Network Formation on a Crowdsourced Customer Support Forum,” Yingda Lu, Param Singh, Baohong Sun. Forthcoming at Management Information Systems Quarterly.
- “Empirical Analysis of Purchase and Consumption Decisions of Health Insurance,” Jian Ni, Nitin Mehan, Kannan Srinivasan and Baohong Sun. Forthcoming at Marketing Science.
- Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease - An Empirical Analysis of Customer Voice and Firm Intervention on Twitter.” Liye Ma, Baohong Sun, and Sunder Kekre. Marketing Science,2015, 34(5), 627-645, (Lead article). (Finalist, John D.C. Little Best Paper Award, INFORMS)
- “An Empirical Analysis of Consumer Purchase Decisions under Price-Discrimination Bucket Pricing.” Yacheng Sun, Shibo Li, and Baohong Sun. Marketing Science,2015, 34(5), 646-668.
- “A Dynamic Model of Rational Addiction: Evaluating Cigarette Taxes.” Brett Gordon and Baohong Sun. Marketing Science, 2015,34(3), 452–70.
- "The ISMS Durable Goods Datasets," Jian Ni and Scott Neslin (database article). Marketing Science, 2012, 31(6), 1008-13.
- "Ushering Buyers into Electronic Channels." Nishitha Langer, Chris Forman, Sunder Kekre, and Baohong Sun. Information Systems Research, 2012, 23(4), 1212-31.
- "A Dynamic Structural Model of the Impact of Loyalty Programs on Customer Behavior," Praveen Kopalle, Scott A. Neslin, Baohong Sun, Yacheng Sun, and Vanitha Swaminathan. Marketing Science, 2012 (31(2), 216-235.
- "Cross-Selling the Right Product to the Right Customer at the Right Time," Shibo Li, Alan Montgomery and Baohong Sun, Journal of Marketing Research, 2011, 48(4), 683-700.
- "Learning and Acting Upon Customer Information: A Simulation-Based Demonstration on Service Allocations with Offshore Centers," Sun, Baohong and Shibo Li, Journal of Marketing Research, 2011, 48(1), 72-86.
- "Testing for Choice Dynamics in Panel Data," Tulin Erdem, Michael Katz, and Baohong Sun, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 2010, 8(3), 303.
- "Why Do Consumers Buy Extended Service Contracts?" Tao Chen, Ajay Kalra, and Baohong Sun, Journal of Consumer Research, 2009, 36(4), 661-623.
- "An Empirical Investigation of the Dynamic Effect of Marlboro's Permanent Pricing Shift," Tao Chen, Baohong Sun, and Vishal Singh, 2009, Marketing Science, 28(4), 740-758.
- "Internet Auction Features as Quality Signals," Shibo Li, Kannan Srinivasan and Baohong Sun, 2009, Journal of Marketing, 73(1), 75-92.
- "A Dynamic Model of Brand Choice When Price and Advertising Signal Product Quality." Erdem, Tulin, Michael Keane and Baohong Sun, 2008, Marketing Science, 27(6), 1111-1129. (Finalist, John D.C. Little Best Paper Award, INFORMS)
- "The impact of advertising on consumer price sensitivity in experience goods markets," Erdem, Tulin, Michael Keane and Baohong Sun, 2008, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 6 (2), p139-176.
- "Promotion Effect on Endogenous Consumption," Baohong Sun, 2005, Marketing Science, 24(3), 430-443.
- "Cross-selling Sequentially Ordered Products: An Application to Consumer Banking Services," Shibo Li, Baohong Sun and Ronald Wilcox, 2004, Journal of Marketing Research, 42 (2), 233-240.
- "Product Strategy for Innovators in Markets with Network Effects," Baohong Sun, Jinhong Xie and H. Henry Cao, 2004, Marketing Science, 23 (2), 243-254.
- "Measuring The Impact of Promotions on Brand Switching Under Rational Consumer Behavior," Baohong Sun, Scott Neslin, Kannan Srinivasan, 2003, Journal of Marketing Research, 40, 4, 389-405.
- "An Empirical Investigation of Spillover Effects of Marketing Mix Strategy in Umbrella Branding," Tulin Erdem and Baohong Sun, 2002, Journal of Marketing Research, 39, 4, 408-420.
- "Understanding the Reference Price Shopper: A Within and Cross-Category Analysis," Tulin Erdem, Glenn Mayhew and Baohong Sun, 2001, Journal of Marketing Research, 38, 4, 445-457.
- "Missing Price and Coupon Availability Data in Scanner Panels: Correcting for the Self-Selection Bias in the Choice Model Parameters," Tulin Erdem, Michael Keane and Baohong Sun, 1999, Journal of Econometrics, 89, 1-2, 177-196.
- "Modeling Survey Response Bias - with An Application to the Demand for An Advanced Electronic Device Service," Cheng Hsiao and Baohong Sun, Journal of Econometrics, 1999, 89, 1-2, 15-39, (lead article).
Completed Working Papers
- Laurens Debo, Sunder Kekre, Jian Ni, Baohong Sun, “Channel Motivations in Emerging Market: An Empirical Analysis.” Revise and resubmit at International Journal of Marketing Research.
- Liu, Xiao, Tim Dendenger and Baohong Sun, "An Empirical Analysis of Consumer Purchase Behavior of Base Products and Add-ons.” Revise and resubmit at Marketing Science.
- Haijing Hao, Rema Padman, Baohong Sun and Rahul Telang,“Quantifying the Impact of Social Influence on Information Technology Henry Cao and Baohong Sun, “Value of Learning and Acting Upon Customer Information.” Revise and resubmit to Information System Research.
- Tao Chen and Baohong Sun, “Consumer Purchases of Retailers’ Extended Service Contracts and Implications on Dynamic Pricing: An Empirical Study.”
- Henry Cao and Baohong Sun, “Value of Learning and Acting Upon Customer Information.”
- Liye Ma and Baohong Sun 2015, “An Integrated Analysis of Mobile Application Usage and In-App Advertising Response,” Revise and Resubmit at Marketing Science.
Work In Progress
- Yingda Lu, Marc, Sunder Kekre and Baohong Sun 2015. “Location-Specific Externalities in Knowledge Spillover Cross Border within Multinational Corporations.”
- “When is the Juice Worth the Squeeze? – An Empirical Study of Optimal Structuring of Win-back Strategy in the Presence of Consumer Dynamics,” with Yacheng Sun and Shibo Li.
- Jian Ni, Baohong Sun and Yi Xin 2015. “Understanding and Acting Upon Customer Inbound Communication Decisions – An Empirical Study.”
- Chuan He, Shibo Li and Baohong Sun 2015. “An Empirical Study of Consumer Purchase Decision on Flash Sales.”
- Kumar, Vineet, Kannan Srinivasan and Baohong Sun. 2010. “Why do Consumers Contribute to Connected Goods? A Dynamic Game of Competition and Cooperation in Social Networks”. Working Paper. Carnegie Mellon University.
- Ma, Liye, Kannan Srinivasan, and Baohong Sun, 2010. “A Dynamic Competitive Analysis of Content Production and Link Formation of Internet Content Developers”. Working Paper. Carnegie Mellon University.
Marketing Management (Core)
Social Media Marketing and E-Commnerce
Customer Relationship Management
Dynamic Optimization for Interactive Marketing
Global Marketing Strategy: China
Advanced Data Analysis and Choice Models I
Big Data Marketing